The holiday season is here in full force, and with it comes all of the hallmark movies, gift shopping, hot chocolate, and quality time with those you love. However, it also opens the door to some charming date ideas that might not make sense in any other season of the year. Maybe you have a few holiday date night ideas set already. Or perhaps you need a few ideas to help kickstart your date idea generator. Whatever the case may be, hopefully, our list can help you.
Indoor Dates Night Ideas
- Movie Marathon – I think of all the ideas on this list, having a Christmas movie marathon is the easiest, most obvious one. And while it may be the most obvious, it is still so much fun. There is nothing that will put me more in a Christmas mood than rewatching Christmas movies. Make some popcorn, grab a cozy blanket, and cuddle up on the couch while you binge some Christmas Classics.
- Gingerbread House Competition – I’m a competitive person by nature, so the idea of making a singular gingerbread house together with a Significant Other when we could see who can make the better one, would drive me nuts. There is something fun about turning a simple but fun task into a competition that elevates the fun factor. Come up with a theme for your competition like ‘Grandma got run over by a reindeer.” See who can come up with the most creative house based on the classic Christmas song.
- Make Christmas Stockings – Make an arts and crafts run and make Christmas Stockings but with one caveat. Make them for each other. Decorate them with your significant other in mind and make the best of it. Maybe you have a running joke you can incorporate into it or a funny nickname you call them. Whatever it may be, have fun with it.
- Make Hot Chocolate – There is no better time of year to make and drink hot chocolate than during the holidays. Even better, buy a few different kinds of hot chocolate brands and have a taste test. How hot chocolate bars aren’t more popular than wine bars is beyond me. Figure out which hot chocolates you like more. (To anyone who makes their hot chocolate with water and not milk, please look in the mirror and ask yourself why.)
Outdoor Dates Night Ideas
- Ice Skating – We’ve all watched Hallmark Christmas movies, and they always have an ice skating scene. (Tangent: why are all Christmas movies either in a small town or in New York?) And those scenes are always so freaking cute. Everyone seems to be having so much fun, whether they know how to skate or keep falling on their butts. And I know that life isn’t a movie, but it doesn’t hurt to try having a movie moment or two in your life.
- Look at the Lights – We all have that one house that every year tries to one-up itself from the previous year. Or if you’re like me and live in the middle of the city and you only get to see the occasional light post with some lights wrapped around it, go to the zoo. Most zoos (doesn’t the plural of zoo look hilarious) have Christmas lights. I don’t know what it is about Christmas lights, maybe it’s my ADHD, but they hold my attention as a campfire does. I can stare at them endlessly.
- See the Nutcracker – Not going to lie, this one can get kind of pricey, but I love theater. And while I understand that there is a difference between theater and ballet, they both scratch the same itch for me. Plus, it’s a reason to wear that one outfit you have in your closet that you seldom get to wear. The Keller Auditorium is showing the Nutcracker from December 11th-26th. Make a night out of it and visit your favorite dinner spot while in the city.
The holidays can be a whirlwind of stress and joy. Money, work, and other adulting stuff can suck the fun out of the holidays. On the other hand, seeing family for the first time in a while, introducing significant others to your family, and starting new traditions can be a blast. So sit back, relax, sip your hot chocolate, and remember to have fun.
And if you are spending the holidays with your significant other’s family for the first time, then you might want to mentally prepare yourself for the good, the bad, and the weird.